Select Your Home Region
Europe, Middle East & Africa
Australia, NZ and Southeast Asia
Hawaii for Families
Only in Hawaii
- See the world's most active volcano
- Watch surfing pros take on the famous Pipeline at Waimea Bay
✓ Best for Spring, Easter and Summer school holidays
✓ Culture & education, Adventure & Activity
What do Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, James Bond, Planet of the Apes, Godzilla, Avatar, and Pirates of the Caribbean have in common? They were all filmed, in part, on one of the Hawaiian islands.
Honolulu on Oahu is the cultural centre of Hawaii. Take a selfie with King Kamehameha –the unifier of the Hawaiian kingdom –before visiting the Pearl Harbour visitor centre and learning about the 'date which will live in infamy'. Complete the history lesson by visiting the poignant and moving USS Arizona memorial which floats above the downed battleship.
Lessons complete...it's time to hit the water. Visit the North Shore to learn what the Aloha State is really made of, and watch the world's best surfers tackle the waves in the famous Waimea Bay. Or go snorkelling in Hanauma Bay where the sealife is just as keen to see you, as you are them. Over 450 tropical fish, octopus, crabs and turtles live in the Bay and they're not in the least bit afraid of humans. If you're feeling particularly energetic after your underwater adventure, how about a hike up Diamond Head or the former volcano Mt.Tantalus.
Next stop the island of Maui where you can start your adventure by taking to the saddle and biking down Mt. Haleakala before being rewarded with a spectacular sunrise over Haleakala Crater. You can thank the Hawaiian god Maui for the spectacular sunrise –legend has it that his mother complained that the sun travelled too quickly to allow for her washing to dry, so Maui caught the Sun and worked out a deal where the sun would travel slowly for six months!
A visit to Maui provides the opportunity for you to experience a kayak tour with real wow factor. At the right time of year your guide can take you out on a whale watching paddling adventure where you can see the majestic humpbacks on their winter holidays, or go for a reef swim with Honu, the green Hawaiian sea turtles. Top off your aqua adventure with a visit to some of Maui's more remote swimming holes and waterfalls, diving off rock ledges and splashing around under 10 or 20 foot high waterfalls.
Zipline around the mountain forest on The Big Island, or for an alternative view, take a quad bike along the top of 200-foot sea cliffs to one of many secret bays. As the sun sets go on a thrilling once in a lifetime night snorkelling adventure with manta rays off the Kona coast. But no tour in Hawaii is complete without visiting the Kīlauea volcano. This volcano has been erupting continuously since 1983 and every year it adds about 42 new acres of land to the Big Island! From your helicopter you will view bubbling lava flows, waterfalls stretching thousands of feet down into the rainforests and remnants of ancient Hawaiian villages.
Did you know...
- The state fish of Hawaii is the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a which means 'triggerfish with a snout like a pig'
- The Hawaiian alphabet only has 12 letters
- Hawaii is the only US state made up entirely of islands. There are 132 in total!
- Surfing was invented by the Polynesians who were the first people to discover Hawaii. They used boards that weighed more than 150 pounds and were up to 20 feet long!
- The Big Island (Hawaii Island) is constantly growing by almost 42 acres every year because of the Kīlauea Volcano
- NASA has used Mauna Lao's hardened lava fields since the 1960s to practise for the first moon landing and now to help plan a future Mars space station
The Boring Bit
- Airline routes –London to the USA Mainland and on to Honolulu
- Flying time –16+ hours if no stopover on US mainland (GMT -10 hours)
- Visas –ESTA required
- Health considerations –None
Family itineraries in Hawaii
Hawaii Family Style
Nights: 12 | from £6,550
Experience Hawaii like no other with this family focused, actioned packed adventure through the tropical islands.
Sample Itineraries which could be adapted for families
Nights: 9 | from £3,790
A relaxing cruise around the soporific Hawaii islands that enables you to explore its beaches, bays and dramatic volcanic scenery and have fun snorkelling and kayaking in clear tropical waters
Alternative family friendly accommodation in Hawaii
The Kahala Hotel & Resort
Big Island, Hawaii
St Regis Princeville Resort