Select Your Home Region
Europe, Middle East & Africa
Australia, NZ and Southeast Asia
Kirkenes Snow Hotel, Kirkenes
Why we like it
- Located "at the top of the world", The Snow Hotel resides in the Arctic town of Kirkenes neighbouring the Barents sea, close to the Russian border.
- Built exclusively with ice and snow, the hotel is skilfully crafted each winter and opens for stays from mid-December.
- This experience hotel makes use of the insulating properties of snow. When it is -30 degrees outside it will still be relative warm inside the snowhotel, at a stable -5 degrees.
- Head to Norway's largest ice bar to sample the renowned ice-cold crowberry shots on offer, locally known as Rudolf's Revenge.
- Built by the same artists who create the Lainio Snow Village in Finland.
Order a Northern Lights wake-up call before going to bed, to ensure that you do not miss out should nature perform.
We were very impressed with the organisation and professionalism of our excellent guide. We really benefitted from her extensive knowledge of the City’s history and, especially, of the artworks on display and came away with a real appreciation of the St Petersburg’s treasures.
- SM, Kent
Set in idyllic surroundings, near Gabba Reindeer Park, the Kirkenes Snow Hotel offers a memorable stay. Decorated with beautifully-lit intricate ice and snow sculptures, each of the 20 snow-suites has a different theme from arctic culture or nature. The rooms are five metres in diameter, and equipped with everything needed for a comfortable nights sleep. The beds are framed with precision carved ice blocks and have comfortable mattresses with thermal insulation and cosy reindeer's furs to snuggle beneath. The Snow hotel neighbours a heated service building and an exotic, heated Lavvo restaurant serving Norwegian delicious delicacies such as roasted trout and reindeer meat. We're still dreaming of the rack of lamb with port sauce.
Suggested itineraries in Norway
The Voyage South
Nights: 5 | from £1,110pp
This 5 night trip to Norway's coastline's will take you from Norway's easternmost port and cruise down to Bergen.
Nights: 6 | from £2,100pp
Experience the world's deepest and longest fjord by sail boat on this 6 night adventure to Norway as well as hiking nature trails and exploring Oslo and Bergen.
The Voyage North
Nights: 6 | from £1,195pp
A 7 day sailing adventure along the iconic Norwegian coastline, taking in its sheltered waters and the dramatic polar north.