Why we like it
- Spectacular location on the Mara River
- There is a bar tent with a large deck overlooking the Mara River and a dinning tent with views over the plains
- Spa and massage treatments are available in camp
- Activities on offer are game drives in custom built vehicles, bush walks and Masai cultural visits
- Governors Camp is an excellent choice of camp to experience the Masai Mara under traditional canvas
About Governors' Camp Kenya
The first tented camp in the Maasai Mara National Reserve, Governors was opened in 1972 on the site of Teddy Roosevelt's Mara camp. The 37 luxury tents follow the contours of the Mara river and lush green lawns and tall old trees dominate the public areas. There are no fences at Governors - animals are free to wander very close and even into camp, although armed Maasai 'guards' patrol day and night to ensure guests' safety. At Governors, guests are in the heart of the African bush it is not unusual to wake up to the sound of hippo feeding on the grass outside your tent! Hurricane lamps replace conventional electric lights in the tents and a la carte dinners are served by candle light in the dining tent.