Why we like it
- Sanctuary Makanyane is situated on private land within the magnificent malaria-free Madikwe Game Reserve
- This beautiful lodge lies hidden in the abundant forest
- Eight stunning suites, ensuring that each guest has privacy and individual attention
- Each suite is air conditioned, has under floor heating in the bathroom and a fireplace forthe chilly winter nights
- Species that populate Madikwe include the big five as well as the rare African wild dog (in the Tswana language, "Makanyane"), cheetah, spotted and brown hyena, giraffe and zebra
About Sanctuary Makanyane
Designed by a team of award winning architects, the key focus was for the lodge to blend in with nature - this has been achieved with great success. Sanctuary Makanyane lies hidden in the lush river-side forest of the Madikwe Game Reserve. Situated on 1,800 hectares of private ground within Madikwe's 75,000 hectares, the lodge affords spectacular views over the tranquil Marico River.
The main lodge building, set on the edge of a ravine with views down to the waterhole has a wonderful thatched roof supported by ancient leadwood trees. The lounge has two enormous rock fireplaces and opens out onto a huge wooden deck, with spectacular views of the bush and a well stocked bar. Eight suites are linked to the main lodge via shaded winding pathways. Glass walled suites allow uninterrupted views of the river and surrounding bush, as do the sizeable private sundecks. Lavish bathrooms benefit from free standing baths, heated floors and indoor and outdoor showers.
Guided game drives and walks through some of the reserves 75,000 hectares are sure to unveil a vast array of incredible wildlife. Alternatively sit and observe from one of Makanyane's two bush hides.Tucked away in the forest, a spa and gym are always on hand to offer tired travellers a little pampering, or to work up an appetite for a sumptuous dinner. Priding itself on fine cuisine, executive chef, Mauritz Greeff, and his excellent team blend European and African flavours, using only the freshest of produce.