Why we like it
- Situated in west Iceland overlooking the Hvalfjördur or 'Whale fjord'
- Remote and peaceful location
- Relax in a geothermal hot tub with stunning views of the surrounding rugged landscape
- Close to the Langjokull glacier, historic town of Reykholt, Thingvellir National Park and Deildartunghver - Iceland's largest hot spring area
- Nearby activities include kayaking, horse riding, fishing, hiking and whale-watching
About Hotel Glymur
Perched on a hillside overlooking the stunning Hvalfjördur - southern Iceland's longest fjord - is the Hotel Glymur. Located within an hour's drive of the capital, Reykjavik, it was originally an old school house and the friendly owners, Jon and Hansina, love to share stories of Icelandic folklore and legend. The laid-back atmosphere and remote location make this hotel an ideal retreat to escape the burdens of daily life.
The hotel interior is both colourful and inviting, packed with brightly painted ceramics and paintings by local artists. There are 22 split-level rooms and 3 suites each with their own unique design and theme, while the 6 private villas have an abundance of space accommodating up to 6 guests in each - ideal for families or groups - and feature their own hot tub on the private veranda.
While all villas have self-catering facilities, the hotel's cosy restaurant is still a great choice for dinner serving scrumptious Icelandic food made using the freshest local ingredients. Menus vary across the seasons and in summer we love to enjoy the lamb Carpaccio starter - an Icelandic favourite.