Select Your Home Region
Europe, Middle East & Africa
Australia, NZ and Southeast Asia
Vakona Forest Lodge
Why we like it
- Cool off in the sparkling swimming pool
- Discover the surrounds on horseback, the forests are amass with lovely birds
- Visit Lemur Island where you can feed the friendly creatures as they jump on your shoulders (no children under 8 are allowed on the Island) or the nearby crocodile farm
- Enjoy walk in Parc National d'Andasibe-Mantadia with one of the local guides
- The impressive 2 foot long Parson's chameleon and the tiny Nose-horned chameleon can be found in the Perinet Reserve
After an energetic day enjoy a drink and meal in the Bar Restaurant with its panoramic views of the forest and surrounding lake.
Robin Spanner provided excellent service overall. We received our initial itinerary within 24 hours of our inquiry and subsequent amendments were dealt with even quicker.
- RF, Abingdon
Vakona Forest Lodge is located in the Andasibe area, 7 km from the Perinet Park entrance and 20 km south of Mantadia National Park. The lodge offers simple accommodation in 28 rooms, some with a mezzanine sleeping area which is suitable for families. All rooms have en suite facilities with shower.
14 hours 20 minutes (via Johannesburg)
GMT +3 hours
Issued on arrival
Yellow Fever certificate required if arriving from an endemic area
Best time to travel
April - November
Due to the size of the country, Madagascar experiences a range of climatic conditions. The heaviest rainfall tends to fall on the east coast and in the north particularly through the cyclone season between December and March. The highlands and parts of the south west remain fairly dry year round although sharp showers can be experienced in Fort Dauphin area.
Create a brochure
Suggested itineraries in Madagascar
Nights: 12 | from £4,245pp
Combine four unique areas of Madagascar – buzzing capital, glorious coast, national park and sacred forest – to get under the skin of the brilliantly biodiverse Indian Ocean isle.