Select Your Home Region
Europe, Middle East & Africa
Australia, NZ and Southeast Asia
Ibo Island Lodge
Why we like it
- Located in the beautiful Quirimbas Archipelago of northern Mozambique
- Ibo is one of the most fascinating islands due its historical past as a main Arabian port and the infamous slave trade
- The lodge encompasses three beautiful mansions each over a hundred years old housing the 14 air conditioned rooms
- Activities on offer are Kayaking trips through the mangroves, snorkelling, cultural visits, bicycle hire, picnic trips to the sandbank, sailing in a traditional dhow, guided nature and bird walks and massages using local ingredients
- Each room is individually decorated with handcrafted beds and a wide verandah
- Ibo is a cultural experience as well as a beach experience
When the tide is low take a walk out and as the crabs scurry around you may find your own treasure, as ancient pottery fragments are often found in the sand thought to have come from dinner services of sunken ships.
We had the most wonderful guides throughout our trip. They were incredibly knowledgeable, patient and humble. A Trip of a Lifetime. We were sorry to come home.
- JS, Hertfordshire
The waters surrounding Ibo offer idyllic beaches and some of Africa's richest coral reefs.
Dine on fresh seafood of every description, and don't forget to relax at one of the pools with a cocktail or frosty Mozambican beer and soak up the tranquil atmosphere. Two of the mansions house the bedrooms and one is the main area of the lodge, an incredible roof top terrace restaurant overlooking the Indian Ocean. Ibo Island is an incredible destination a beautiful island full of mystique and intrigue.
Vilanculos or Pemba
14 hours 30 minutes via Johannesburg or via Dar Es Salam
GMT +2 hours
Required for UK passport holders and must be obtained prior to arrival via the embassy or visa service company.
No mandatory vaccinations
Best time to travel
June - August
The best time to travel to Mozambique is between June and August, rainfall is low and temperatures warm in the low to mid twenties. The rainy season runs from November through until March.