Why we like it
- Only accessible by boat and a one hour boat journey from Sandakan
- Excellent location on the Kinabatangan River for wildlife
- The lodge is simple but comfortable
- There is an open air restaurant serving good local cuisine
- Perfect choice of lodge to discover the fascinating wildlife of this area
About Abai Jungle Lodge
Embarking on the hour's boat ride to the lodge sets the pace of this truly incredible area, the peaceful river is home to silvered langur, maroon langur, hose langur, orangutan and a variety of species of birds are spotted frequently. Surrounding the lodge is a jungle boardwalk trail with five watch towers that you can visit day or night, some of the wildlife will get very close to the lodge.
There are twenty four rooms at the lodge, each one has polished wood floor and walls with a light painted ceiling to create a light and airy room, all rooms are en suite with hot and cold running water. The rooms have a ceiling fan, there is no air conditioning. The lodge is on raised stilts over the river, there is an outside deck area overlooking the river, the perfect place to relax with a book or sit and wait to see the wildlife that may pass by.