Why we like it
- Eleven opulently-appointed studio rooms offer expansive vistas of Walker Bay or the towering distant Overberg Mountains
- All menus are designed on a daily basis using the best ingredients to create a delicate mixture of modern African Cuisine, traditional French techniques with strong Asian and Italian influences
- Two spa treatment rooms with an extensive spa menu
- Only an hour and a half's drive from Cape Town
- Perfect for couples looking for that very special place. Children welcome over 12 years old
About Birkenhead House
Set high up on the cliffs just outside the town of Hermanus and overlooking Walker Bay is the magnificent Birkenhead House, the ultimate coastal retreat. Its elegant beach-house atmosphere reflects the beauty of its coastal setting with rare antiques, maps and art. From Birkenheaad House you can look forward to sighting the majestic southern right whales between June and November that enter the sheltered waters every year to calve.
World-class cuisine is a matter of course. Lavish meals and seafood delicacies are served daily in the dining room with its panoramic views. Facilities include a split-level swimming pool in a sheltered courtyard, an infinity pool above the ocean, a gym, spa and treatment centre. Two of Hermanus' best swimming beaches are on your doorstep. Spectacular mountain trails and breathtaking cliff path walks are in easy reach, opening up the Cape's thriving Floral Kingdom. If you are feeling active then learn to surf on the beaches below, alternatively walk ten minutes along the cliff tops to Grotto beach, with its Blue Flag status watch out for the endangered black oyster catcher, just one of the many bird species you may find.