Why we like it
- Located close to the seaside town of Gansbaai
- Set amongst indigenous fynbos and milkwood trees
- Two five star lodges Garden and Forest
- Stylish accommodation including a new luxury exclusive use villa with six elegant suites all with views of the Atlantic Ocean
- Activities include land based whale watching (June- November), nature walks, horse riding, flower safaris including fynbos nature tours and excursions to ancient archaeological caves
Grootbos delivers the basics with ease, international cuisine, fine wines and stunning lodge accommodation along with some more refined touches. There are telescopes in the main lounge area for armchair naturalists and boat trips for those who want to get a little closer. Within the reserve itself highly-qualified resident research botanists offer fascinating guided tours around the unique ecosystem, by vehicle or on the superbly trained thoroughbred horses from Grootbos' own stables. Community projects are important at Grootbos and guests are actively encouraged to learn and engage in local township life.
Grootbos has carved a unique niche in the upmarket eco-lodge sector by specialising in the Cape region's world-renowned flora and marine biodiversity. The multi-award winning 1,750 2500 hectare reserve is home to more than 740 different species of plants and is a nature lover's paradise. Revered conservationist, David Bellamy has described Grootbos as 'The best example of conservation of biodiversity I have ever seen - Grootbos says it with flowers'. This is a truly exceptional nature destination and is linked with the Eden project in Cornwall.