Why we like it
- Set in the heart of the smallest yet richest floral kingdom in the world
- Set amongst indigenous fynbos and milkwood trees
- Stay in one of the free standing luxury suites at either Garden or Forest Lodge
- Stylish accommodation including two exclusive use villas, one with six elegant suites and one with four, all with views of the Atlantic Ocean
- Activities include land based whale watching (June- November), nature walks, horse riding, flower safaris including fynbos nature tours and excursions to ancient archaeological caves
Grootbos delivers the basics with ease, international cuisine, fine wines and stunning lodge accommodation along with some more refined touches. There are telescopes in the main lounge area for armchair naturalists and boat trips for those who want to get a little closer. Within the reserve itself highly-qualified resident research botanists offer fascinating guided tours around the unique ecosystem, by vehicle or on the superbly trained thoroughbred horses from Grootbos' own stables. Community projects are important at Grootbos and guests are actively encouraged to learn and engage in local township life.
Grootbos has carved a unique niche in the upmarket eco-lodge sector by specialising in the Cape region's world-renowned flora and marine biodiversity. The multi-award winning 21000 hectare reserve is home to more than 900 different species of plants and is a nature lover's paradise. Every guest stay is offset by the incredible conservation and sustainability work that is being done at Grootbos. A truly unique experience.