Why we like it
- Fugitives' Drift has become world-renowned for its battlefield tours to all the Zulu War battle sites in the region, particularly the battles of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift
- Enjoy superb cuisine, a unique fusion of home and modern flavours, in the splendid atmosphere of a veritable museum of Anglo Zulu War memorabilia
- Spacious, luxury en-suite cottages each have a private verandah affording views over the plains flanking the Buffalo River Gorge
- The battlefield tours are led by expert guides and exceptional storytellers that bring these historical battles to life
- Enjoy the outdoor swimming pool and beautiful garden
About Fugitives' Drift Lodge and Guesthouse
The Rattray family continue to pioneer Heritage Tourism in South Africa, having created the ideal setting for visitors to experience the events surrounding the great battles of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift. Clients have two accommodation options, Fugitives' Drift Lodge and the adjacent Guesthouse. The Lodge is also home to the newly renovated Annex, or Cottage. The Cottage has been redesigned to have two en-suite bedrooms and a sitting-room. One bathroom has a shower and bath, the other is a small shower-room. It is ideal for small families or couples travelling together. Another feature of the Lodge is the beautiful, shady, well established garden, home to innumerable birds, and the most spectacular large swimming pool situated on a secluded spur on the lip of the Buffalo River gorge.
Thrilling battlefield lectures are delivered Andrew Rattray and Joseph Ndima. Let the history of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift unfold as the superb storytellers lead you onto the battlefields to recount the events from both the Anglo and Zulu perspectives. At Isandlwana you will learn how the Zulu's defeated the British army and how at sunset the story of Rorke's Drift unfolded to reveal why the most Victoria Crosses in one act of battle were awarded. Aside from the battlefield tours, the lodge and guesthouse provide a quiet haven to relax. Guided walks, horseback rides and fishing are all available.