Why we like it
- Friendly team of helpful, professional staff
- Variety of activities available, including guided hikes into the local craters and visits to Maasai villages
- Deep in the Ngorongoro Conservation Area far away from the crowds
- Contemporary-designed individual canvas and glass-domed suites with a fireplace
- Opportunity to see jackal, leopard, lion, bull elephant, hippo, wildebeest, buffalo, zebra
About The Highlands
At The Highlands you get a real taste of Tanzania's unspoiled wonders. Set high on the slopes of the Olmoti Volcano, the camp looks out over the Gol Mountains and the Empakaai Crater, all the way to the distant Serengeti. This unique location offers tranquil solitude, the only way to truly experience the country's exquisite wilderness.
The eight eco-conscious, dome-shaped tents set themselves apart from the more traditional safari camp. The tents each have their own fireplace to keep you warm when the temperature drops in the evening, and even gas heating facilities so you can stay toasty at night. The floor-to-ceiling windows ensure you get the best of the spilling views all around you without having to remain quite or hidden, and from here you'll witness Africa's blazing sunrises, its sky-painting sunsets and some of the more curious of its creatures.
The trip is full of opportunities to find jackal, leopard, lion, bull elephants, hippo, wildebeest, buffalo, zebra and so many more magnificent creatures in their natural habitat. The lodge also offers a range of adventures, such as hiking the ancient Maasai trails near Olmoti, visiting Maasai villages and descending into the Empakaai Crater on foot. Unique experiences you won’t find anywhere else in the world.