Why we like it
- Most rooms open onto private or semi-private courtyards with informal outdoor dining and lounging areas
- Amanfayun lies hidden in a valley to the west of West Lake, 20 minutes from the centre of Hangzhou and close to the temples and village of Tianzhu
- The Restaurant, tucked away behind a grove of evergreens, serves Western cuisine, whilst the steam house is a casual eatery offering traditional fare in a simple, picturesque setting
- Aman Spa is a peaceful sanctuary surrounded by bamboo groves and magnolia trees with courtyards in between
- The hotel has a 20 metre, heated outdoor pool
Amanfayun offers 42 rooms, suites and villas. Due to the unique nature of the structures, no two rooms are identical. Without compromising the integrity of the dwellings, all enjoy the comforts of radiant under-floor heating, air conditioning and internet connectivity. All furniture is freestanding and includes daybeds, sofas, dining suites and floor and desk lamps. Fine calligraphy art pieces decorate the walls and a sound system with iPod option is available in all rooms.
Bordering the property to the east is a small stream that runs from south to north. The stream was once the focal point of daily village life where the villagers would gather in the late afternoon to bathe and exchange gossip after a day spent working in the tea fields. Natural flora surrounding the resort is a combination of tea bushes, bamboo and indigenous trees including the fragrant Sweet Osmanthus, Magnolia, Camphor, Chinese Horse Chestnut, Common Fig, Chinese Ash and Waxberry.