Why we like it
- Nihi Sumba Island is a hidden paradise on the unspoiled island of Sumba
- Enjoy award-winning cuisine in the open air dining pavilions of Wavefront restaurant
- A surfers paradise, Sumba's beaches are home to one of the world's best left-hand breaks
- Nihi Sumba Island provides the perfect opportunity to experience Sumbanese culture and traditions
- A portion of Nihi Sumba Island's profits are given to the Sumba Foundation, providing humanitarian aid through community projects
About Nihi Sumba Island
Located on the island of Sumba, Nihi Sumba Island is a responsible luxury resort surrounded by deciduous forest, pristine white sands and the azure Indian Ocean. Despite being twice the size of Bali, Sumba's population barely reaches a sixth of Bali's population. This intimate island retreat includes 28 exquisite villas set in 567 acres of land. Overlooking the Indian Ocean, each villa is perched upon a terrace with a spacious outdoor veranda. Interiors are open-plan, reflecting simple Indonesian architecture and utilising local materials such as Alang Alang, teak and rattan. Rooms are designed to incorporate the beautiful surrounding nature, be it the dazzling ocean, swaying palms or colourful bougainvillea. The Mamole three-bedroom Tree House Villa is the most recent addition to the resort, defining luxurious tropical living and offering the best view of the beach.
The Boathouse offers a range of unique experiences including surfing, free diving, stand-up paddle boarding and deep sea fishing. Exclusive to guests staying at Nihi Sumba Island, the beaches are a great place to learn with only 10 surfers permitted to ride the waves per day. Guests can hire out private charter boats to explore the most remote regions of Sumba and the vibrant marine life which inhabits the island's clear waters. As evening draws, the boathouse is transformed into a tranquil setting where you can enjoy sunset cocktails and spectacular views about an open fire.
For a unique spa experience embark on the Niha Oka Spa Safari. Trek through rolling hills and rice fields to the spectacular Nihi Oka, where fresh coconuts and a multitude of relaxing treatments await you. Unwind on the clifftop to the sound of the breaking waves, a truly tranquil destination. If you prefer you can request all treatments in the sanctuary of your own villa.