Why we like it
- Located in the heart of the main sightseeing areas
- An authentic style ryokan that has been open for 100 years
- Enjoy tea at the famous Gyokutoan tea rooms ( on the 7th and 17th day of every month)
- Impressive Japanese architecture
- Traditional Kyoto-style cuisine is served
About Sumiya Ryokan
Sumiya is a very inviting authentic Japanese ryokan. As one walks into the main door there is a fusuma (Japanese sliding door) so you immediately feel as though you are visiting an old traditional Japanese home. Sumiya Ryokan is constructed in the traditional "sukiya" style of Japanese architecture. There is a Japanese garden, tea ceremony rooms, and Japanese antiques throughout Sumiya Ryokan. As Symia is over 100 year olds, it is a traditional experience and a walk back in time, admire the cratmanship in the wood, the tatami and the walls. The kaiseki dinner and the Japanese style breakfasts offer incredible and unforgettable dining experiences.