Why we like it
- Luxurious eco lodge hidden in the South Island’s west coast wilderness
- The retreat is constructed from materials designed to have minimal environmental impact
- Dine among the trees at The Canopy Restaurant
- Cosy up beside the wood-burning fire at Frond Lounge Bar
- Activities available include scenic helicopter flights, quad bike tours, eco rafting and mountain biking.
About Te Waonui Forest Retreat
Hidden among the South Island's west coast wilderness, Te Waonui Forest Retreat truly is a sanctuary for the soul. With a natural, earthy ambience and attentive service, there's no better place to take a deep breath and simply unwind. 100 generously sized rooms are split across four wings - Kahikatea, Totara, Rimu and Matai - and linked by covered walkways amid the lush rainforest. Te Waonui's environmentally friendly design utilises the most innovative of sustainable building techniques while energy efficient materials ensure minimal impact on its surrounds. From deluxe soundproofing technology between rooms to the five-course degustation menu featuring local cuisine, every detail you can imagine has been thought out and developed.
Local activities range from adrenalin-pumped rock-climbing, Okarito kayaking and heli-hikes to a relaxing trip to the Amaia Luxury Spa. Within walking distance of the retreat are the Glacier hot pools; open until 10pm, we recommend an evening visit to help heal weary muscles before snuggling down in your room's soft woollen underlays and plush down duvets.