Why we like it
- All rooms have private terraces
- Cuisine is excellent and guests can enjoy dining al fresco or in the restaurant
- In-room massages and spa treatments can be arranged
- An outdoor lap pool stands on sun terrace with lovely lake views
- Other facilities include an open-plan lounge area, bars, gardens and terraces, a fitness centre and parking, whilst activities range from guided tours to kayaking and scuba diving
About Casa Palopo Atitlan
Overlooking Lake Atitlan, described by author Aldous Huxley as the 'most beautiful lake in the world', this hotel occupies a truly privileged location. Its terraced grounds overlook the lake - a mile-high wonder of startlingly blue, windswept waters, set against a backdrop of three 10,000-foot volcanoes.
Guatemalan-Mayan heritage is displayed proudly throughout, exemplified by the jewel-coloured walls, vibrant artworks, painted furniture and wonderful candelabras. With just nine rooms and a private villa, the hotel has an exclusive, intimate feel. All the rooms have private, outdoor spaces and, inside, are decorated in vibrant colours, whilst the furniture is mostly traditional carved or painted wood.
The hotel's private villa, meanwhile, stands at the crest of the terraced grounds, and is all muted colours, stylish, plantation-style furniture and polished floors. It is a contemporary, stylish and spacious accommodation with the added luxury of Philippe Starck designed bathroom fixtures and a private pool.