Why we like it
- All the villas have superb outdoor spaces with private pools
- Banyan Tree is set within the private, gated Mayakoba resort on the beautiful Riviera Maya
- Seven dining options range from authentic Thai and Asian favourites at Saffron, to the healthy, hearty eclectic cuisine at Tamarind
- The award-winning Banyan Tree Spa offers an extensive range of Asian-inspired massages
- In addition to the private villas' pools, the hotel offers Reflections, a large, free-form swimming pool, and the Sands infinity pool overlooking the ocean
About Banyan Tree Mayakoba
The epitome of luxury resort living, Banyan Tree Mayakoba brings its own brand of Asian hospitality to the beautiful Mayakoba development on the Riviera Maya. The setting is superb. Home to the second-largest coral reef in the world, is a carefully maintained ecosystem of dunes, mangroves, freshwater lagoons, and a myriad indigenous species of fish, birds and mammals.
The whole complex is stunning. Styled like a traditional Asian village, but with Mexican touches, it stretches through lush vegetation down to the waters edge. At its heart is the main building, which is surrounded by cooling mangrove lakes, while the lobby area is a spectacular raised building with views over the ocean.
The private villas spread out along the waterways, and again draw on Asian design concepts. For instance, each villa curls around its own individual patch of garden, complete with pool and sundeck. Inside, the décor showcases Mexican culture. Mayan decorative patterns set the tone, whilst local crafts and natural accents in wood, stone and rustic, yet elegant furniture add a local flavour.