Why we like it
- Villa San Michele stands perched amid landscaped gardens on the wooded slopes of Fiesole
- Rooms are split between the main villa and the hotel's garden suites, and have views of Florence, the Arno Valley or the Italian gardens
- Dining options include the Loggia Terrace Restaurant, serving Tuscan cuisine and the pool restaurant terrace for lunch or a light snack
- A compact gym is equipped with the latest equipment - all of which faces large windows to provide a distraction from the work at hand
- The hotel has a heated outdoor pool. Set on a wide, grassy plateau above the gardens, it is surrounded by olive trees and offers panoramic views
About Belmond Villa San Michele
Villa San Michele is a listed Tuscan villa and a member of Belmond Hotels. This former 15th Century Franciscan monastery with restful Italian gardens is an ideal retreat from the bustle of Florence.
Dating from the 15th century, the Villa's facade is attributed to Michelangelo. Inside the ethereal beauty and solitude of a Renaissance building has been perfectly preserved amongst the stylish décor and well-chosen furnishings. Buildings such as the Villa San Michele are as much a part of Italy's culture as the country's greatest cathedrals and galleries.
In the rooms, walnut and cherry custom-made furniture abounds, whilst the décor is in soothing cream and warm pastel colours. Handmade parchment lampshades, curtains of the finest cotton and elegant upholstery work beautifully with carefully restored, original features to complete an effect that is redolent with the history of the villa.
Children can enjoy the Kids Club open from June to August with pizza demonstrations as well as the cooking school and picnics in the enchanted forest.