Why we like it
- A historic hotel, full of charm and nostalgia, dating back to the 1800s
- A great base to explore the beautiful Aurland Valley in the summer months
- Ideally situated for a skiing break in winter
- Enjoy traditional Norwegian dishes in the main restaurant
- Rooms overlook the mountains on one side and the fjord on the other
About Fretheim Hotel
Fretheim Hotel is a historical hotel located on the west coast of Norway at the innermost point of one of the arms of Norway’s longest fjords, Sognefjorden. At Fretheim, you have a great view over the fjord and just a few meters from the hotel you can find Flam station, where the Flam railway starts.
The hotel is a white timber building displaying architectural traditions, which go back to the 1800s, but today these are adapted the modern age. The newest part of the hotel was built in 2000 and only a glass façade separates the old and new sections. All the hotel rooms have beautiful views, either over the fjord or the mountains. The restaurant offers an array of traditional dishes, all locally sourced, celebrating all that is great about Norwegian food.
In the summer months, this is a great place to explore by foot, kayak or mountain bike. The mountain backdrop provides wild scenery you can barely tear your eyes from and in summer the hikes are unparalleled and a great way to soak in the natural beauty of this wild region. In the winter, it’s worth bearing in mind that Myrkdalen, a modern ski resort, is only 45 minutes away, great for families and more experienced skiers alike.