Why we like it
- Historic family-run hotel situated on the Sognefjord in the centre of Balestrand
- Originally a wooden Swiss-style guesthouse
- Home to an extensive collection of artworks and antiques
- Spectacular views of the mountains and fjords
- A favourite for Royalty, emperors, presidents, prime ministers, film stars and artists from many countries.
About Kviknes Hotel
Having run the hotel for 135 years, the Kviknes family's traditional style of inn keeping comes from their deep rooted history dating as far back as 1753. With a prominent list of guests including Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany who received the news of World War I from the hotel's Høyvik Room.
Originally built in a classic Swiss chalet style, the hotel has been through many renovations and extensions, despite this, the hotel retains its alluring character and old world charm. Over the years, the Kvikne family has built up an extensive collection of artworks and antiques, which are displayed throughout the hotel adding another element to its history and charm.
With 200 rooms it is one of the largest hotels in Norway, with choice of the wooden historic wing or the modern wing which was built in the 1960's. Most rooms offer balconies with spectacular views of the bay, fjords and mountains. Each room is individually decorated in a classic style with elegant en suite bathroom.
You will not be short of activities here, enjoy mountains walks, explore the town of Balestrand, play a round of golf in Jølster while surrounded by the trout and rafting river, visit the Sognefjord aquarium or head to Jostedal Glacier national park - home to the largest glacier in European mainland.