Why we like it
- A majestic 250 year old fort with a dramatic setting and spectacular views across the Narmada river
- All rooms have either a stunning view of the river, a private balcony or a private garden
- Beautiful landscaped gardens and an outdoor swimming pool Ahilya Fort is located off the tourist track, a place to truly relax and experience authentic Indian hospitality and culture
- Meals are prepared using fresh vegetables from the organic vegetable garden
- The perfect base to explore the sacred Hindu pilgrimage site of Omkareshwar and the medieval ghost-town of Mandu
About Ahilya Fort, Maheshwar
Ahilya Fort has been loving restored into a unique boutique hotel with 13 exceptional rooms set in six buildings in this 18th century fort. There is one fabulous private tent with its own heated plunge pool and wonderful views of the river and temples below, a truly unique experience. Each room and tent is decorated in a distinctive and traditional Indian style. A stay here allows guests to discover the fabulous, deserted city of Mandu and the famed island temple of Omkareshwar nearby. There is no formal dining room. Breakfast are a buffett style and are served on the ramparts of the fort, overlooking the river. Lunch is served in a shady, leafy courtyard or on the patio. Candlelit dinners are served in the garden by the pool or on the terrace. Ahilya Fort is an all-inclusive hotel, all meals, soft drinks, alcoholic drinks and all snacks are included. Your host (should he be in residence at the time), Prince Shivaji Rao Holkar, has the highest standards and the food here is delicious and the service exceptional.