Why we like it
- Perched above the desert capital of Jodhpur, Umaid Bhawan Palace, a golden-yellow sandstone monument, is the last of India's great palaces
- Dining options include the superb Risala, which serves imaginative continental and Indian cuisine
- The Jiva Grand Spa offers an array of traditional and contemporary treatments in a wonderful location
- An outdoor pool is set in gardens and surrounded by sun loungers with shade. An indoor pool is located in the spa
- Other facilities include bars and lounges, a family museum, a fine collection of vintage cars including a Silver Ghost Rolls Royce, tennis courts and croquet lawns, secret gardens and stables, a boutique, a library, a bookstore and a gallery for fine antiques
About Umaid Bhawan Palace
The Umaid Bhawan Palace is set amidst lush, peacock filled gardens and has 94 lavish rooms decorated in Art Deco style - a stay here is a truly memorable experience.
Designed by renowned Edwardian architect Henry Lanchester, the palace is a blend of eastern and western architectural influences. Its majestic 105 - foot high cupola is influenced by the Renaissance, while the towers draw inspiration from Rajput tradition. The lavish interiors with gilt furniture and elegant artwork follow the Art Deco style, complemented by the exotic murals of the self-exiled Polish artist Stefan Norblin.
The rooms too are designed in unmistakable Art Deco style, with patterned tile floors, polished wooden detail and antique furniture. Spacious and stylish, they are very much in keeping with the hotel's stunning exterior.