Why we like it
- The elevated location has great views of the Pacific and along California’s dramatic Highway 1 coastline
- Ventana is nestled among 243 acres of meadows and native woodlands. You can walk through indigenous redwoods to breakfast.
- Big Sur is a magical destination filled with almost endless opportunities for outdoor adventures
- Modern comforts blend effortlessly with Ventana’s traditional charm and style
- Exquisite locally sourced ingredients, imaginatively served up in the rustic surrounds of Ventana’s restaurant
About Ventana Big Sur, An Alila Resort
Since Spanish settlers named the area south of Monterey el pais grande del sur (big country of the south), this 90 mile stretch of coastline has subsequently, simply been known as Big Sur. Ventana Big Sur perches in an enviable location on a tumbling hillside surrounded by redwoods and with dramatic views to the Pacific below. The aged cedar buildings that comprise the resort lend it a traditional charm that is sympathetically complemented by the plush interiors featuring Egyptian cotton bedding and in some cases wood burning fires. The decks or patios look over the wooded grounds or to the Pacific and are just perfect for unwinding with a chilled glass of Californian.
Big Sur is a playground for outdoor enthusiasts. The inland and coastal state parks offer stunning hikes and great wildlife. Californian condors and red tailed hawks soar above the mountains and canyons, and the beaches and coves are a refuge for seals and sea otters. Culture vultures will revel in the many art galleries, and towns such as Carmel and Monterey are simply too good to miss. After a day exploring, however you see fit, we can highly recommend a treatment or massage, in the privacy of your own deck, as a great way to end the day.