Why we like it
- This picture perfect, fjord side location is ideal for exploring nearby Olympic National Park
- We love the emphasis they place on enjoying the simple things like taking a leisurely stroll through the adjacent woods or crabbing in the canal.
- The cosy rooms and spacious cottages suit couples and families, in equal measure
- There’s a healthy respect for the abundance of great seafood in the surrounding waters, typified by the local crab, clams and mussels found in their Seafood Boil
- If the gently lapping waters of the Hood Canal alone aren’t enough to help you unwind, the hot basalt stone signature massage in the delightful spa will surely seal the deal
About Alderbrook Resort
It’s only a comfortable two hour journey from Seattle but feels an eternity away when you arrive at the pretty, waterside Alderbrook Resort & Spa. The view over the Hood Canal (actually a fjord) to the Olympic Mountains beyond is as pretty as a picture and can be enjoyed from most of the rooms and cottages. Most of the rooms feature day beds, from where you can watch the changing light, the wind flicking the water’s surface and the occasional bald eagle effortlessly soaring past. Substitute one view for another in the indoor pool where wraparound glass windows frame the water, forested hills and the mountains beyond.
Tempting as it is to just flit between your room, the pool, spa and the many delectables on offer in the cosy restaurant, the wilderness playground on your doorstep has much to offer and shouldn’t be overlooked. The mountains of Olympic National Park seem to be everywhere you turn and almost beckon you to visit and enjoy the staggering views from their many wooded trails. Closer still, you can explore the waters of Hood Canal and seasonally, go fishing or crabbing and maybe have your catch cooked for dinner. For families, there are numerous other local distractions within a stone’s skim which will hopefully keep the children out of the console games room!