Why we like it
- Elevated location overlooking picturesque Friday Harbor on San Juan Island
- Most of the rooms have views over the marina and San Juan Channel, framed through picture windows.
- The outdoor activity capital of the Pacific North West offering exceptional whale watching in addition to kayaking, hiking and biking
- The Bluff restaurant highlights the best of regional produce from the cool, clear waters of the Salish Sea and the many farms that dot the islands and mainland
- Friday Harbor town itself shouldn’t be missed with its charming galleries, boutiques and bookstores
About Friday Harbor House
Friday Harbour House sits proudly atop a rocky bluff overlooking the bustling harbour and San Juan Channel beyond. All of the 23 rooms offer gas fireplaces and oversized jacuzzi baths so you can cosy up in the winter months. Depending on the time of year, the views through oversized picture windows range from engaging to dramatic. We love room 35 for its uninterrupted views of the natural theatre of Friday Harbor’s marina; hours can easily be spent mesmerised by the comings and goings of its many and varied protagonists. The Bluff Restaurant is a great venue for simple, good quality local produce in the company of locals who flock there to enjoy the convivial ambience.
For some the San Juan Islands are an idyllic place to unwind; for most they are a base for the many activities on offer which predominantly revolve around the archipelago’s varied wildlife and hauntingly beautiful landscapes. The channels and bays are happy hunting grounds for pods of orcas between May and September and seals, porpoises and many species of seabirds can be seen year round. The islands themselves can be explored on foot or on guided kayak trips and bald eagles are seen with unerring regularity. If the weather does close in, Friday Harbor’s many charming little boutiques, galleries and cafes provide welcome refuge and many feel the views are at their most atmospheric when the skies darken.