Why we like it
- Very accessible and close to Quito (under 3 hours drive)
- Located within a highly bio-diverse area with different types of forest due to the Reserves altitudinal range of 500-1500m above sea level.
- Surprisingly contemporary and eco-friendly architecture with minimalist interior design and decoration
- High level of comfort and dining
- Well guided activities to include aerial bicycles, canopy gondola, observation tower and life centre
About Mashpi Lodge
Mashpi is a new, luxury lodge set within a 1,200 hectare private reserve, part of a biodiversity 'hotspot' known as the Tumbez-Choco-Darien, particularly celebrated for its flora and avifauna, not to mention the thousands of insect species and amphibians.
Located on a plateau, the Mashpi's modern architecture of glass and steel 'cocoons' guests whilst also offering breath-taking views of the forest at all times and from all angles. Design and décor are contemporary-modern mixing earthy, calm tones with clean lines, simple woods and designer furniture and fittings. There are 23 rooms all with excellent forest views and the public areas are spacious with huge windows drawing the forest in all the time. Dining is of a high standard and chefs use locally grown produce such as guavas, plantains and chocolate where possible. There is also a small spa.
Away from the hotel, Mashpi offers exciting and innovative ideas for exploring and experiencing the forest from a canopy gondola (also known as an aerial tram) and sky bike, to dips in refreshing waterfall pools and numerous hiking trails, such as the Howler Monkey or Cucharillo Trail (named after an Oak). Naturalist and local guides are always on hand to explain the forest's secrets from the fox fire fungi to the tree trunks festooned with orchids, lichens, mosses and giant ferns. There is also a Life Centre conceived as a place for learning and an observation tower offering a birds eye vista of the surrounding forest.