Why we like it
- All the casitas have private, covered decks with hammocks and plush chairs
- La Lancha occupies an elevated position overlooking Lake Peten Itza and affords superb views, especially at sunrise
- An open-air restaurant serves authentic Guatemalan dishes such as Chilaquiles, beef tenderloin served with chiltepe peppercorn sauce grilled on the open parilla
- The hotel has a split-level pool on a patio just below the main lodge
- Other facilities include the main lodge, which houses a gift shop, patio, restaurant and bar under its towering thatch roof, and a library, as well as complimentary kayaks and two-person canoes. A wide range of tours and excursions are available
About La Lancha
Set in the rainforest high above the shores of Lago Petén Itzá is La Lancha, a quaint, 10-room lodge decorated with artwork and furniture from Bali, as well as fabrics and carvings from Guatemala. Beyond the clear water of the lake is Tikal, the epicenter of Mayan spirituality, whilst buried deep within the rainforest lie more than 3,000 ruins where moss clings to the steps of ancient temples and plazas.
With its beautiful lakeshore setting, relaxed ambiance and close proximity to the lost world of Maya, La Lancha is an ideal destination to both enjoy a languid pace and explore the many adventures of the Petén region.
A soaring, thatched lodge is at the heart of the property, whilst winding paths lead to secluded guest Casitas. Each is brightly decorated, inspired by native art furnishings. The Rainforest Casitas have views of the surrounding forest and a partial view of the lake, while the Lakeview Casitas offer breathtaking panoramas of Lago Petén Itzá.