Don’t miss Italy’s most famous sporting event, held twice a year in Siena during July and August. The Palio horse race is undoubtedly the weekend’s highlight, but visit a local contrada (‘district’) the night before the race for an atmospheric dinner in city. On race day itself enjoy perfect views of the excitement from a private balcony overlooking the square. After all the festivities retreat to the stunning Rosewood Castiglion del Bosco, located in the nearby Tuscan Hills and the perfect place from which to explore the region further as well as sample some ‘super Tuscan’ wines.
- An authentic, local experience, where you embrace the excitement and adrenaline of Italy’s most famous sporting event
- Access to a private balcony of one of the palaces overlooking Siena’s famous shell-shaped square
- Have your very own balcony from which to watch the palio during the race
- Insider knowledge regarding which contrada is set to win
- Private wine tasting of some of the ‘super Tuscans’ at Castiglion del Bosco
- Dinner the night before the race with the contrada who has been tipped to win